The sermon on the mount is recorded in a number of Gospels. In Luke Jesus turns to his disciples and say’s
To you who are listening I say!
- Love your enemies.
- Do good to those who hate you.
- Bless those who curse you.
- Pray for those who mistreat you.
- If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn the other one.
- If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt.
- Give to all you ask.
- If anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back.
- Do to others what you would have them do to you.
Matthew records Jesus saying to his disciples right before his ascension. Go and make disciples of all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father, Son and Spirit. Teaching them to obey all I have commanded you.
Are we really listening to what Jesus said?